Pages

Monday 8 February 2016

Towards a Visual Language


watch this space....

My odyssey through the visual continues. I am taking a little break from the evening classes for a while and instead exploring an online course on graphic design. The MOOC I am doing is through Coursera and is a CALARTS course. I have done their courses before and they were excellent, I am really motivated. So far I have been impressed. 

Over the weekend I mulled some of the conclusions I am coming to. I had come to a point where I could see that process without some aim isn't going to take me anywhere. I originally thought that the answer was to plan a show but on close consideration I think this isn't a good idea. 

I have decided that I want to marry my beliefs in adult learning with some kind of visual project or works. It has taken me a couple of years to come to this idea. A couple of years of exploring what it is to be an adult learner, to embark on the unknown and to struggle to learn new skills. So deciding on this direction is a big achievement for me.

How to execute this is a different matter. Trying to develop a visual body of work feels a lot like when I learned a new language. And like language the only way I will improve is through practice. Fortunately this MOOC has provided some fascinating opportunities for me to develop making as a habit.