Pages

Tuesday 28 June 2016

"My Heart is Soaring"


First attempt at self-portrait with brush marker
It's not so easy these days to get to classes, particular ones that are over a number of weeks. So when my good friend and teacher Ursula let me know that she was doing a day-long class on a weekend on self-portraiture, I signed up even though the subject wasn't too interesting to me. I should say though, that not having an immediate interest in a area often is a good reason to try it.

Spending several hours through the day in a class was actually a great thing. It meant you could get immersed in the work and explore it. I had low expectations of what I would create, I always do.

Shared self-portrait
The six other students were also women and Ursula chatted a little at the beginning about the history of portraiture and women. Being part of the class felt subversive and cathartic.   It was moving to see what we created and also in my own work, to recognize the mark of my genes. 

As a woman I felt so empowered by this experience and also surprised at how much I really was able to render my own face. 

For all of us it was such profound day "my hear is soaring" said Ursula, as she watched us work. 

Final piece in acrylics and mixed media